Accounting Associate - Payroll
Accounting Associate - Payroll
University Accounting and Financial Services
The accountant will fill a key role in the University Accounting and Financial Services Department. The position will support the payroll and human resources departments within the University.
Essential Job Duties
- Manages and processes biweekly student payroll in collaboration with student employment coordinator
- Manages processes assigned steps of semimonthly payroll including, but not limited
- Tracks timecard submissions and verifies accurate time entries and Supervisor approvals
- Transfer requests/Journal entries within Payroll
- Graduate tuition benefit administration
- Garnishment administration
- Maintains leave balances
- Updates and initiates tax payments via EFTPS
- Student payroll and semimonthly payroll as needed
- 941 reconciliation and preparation as well as year-end W-2 administration
- Ensuring proper tax codes are assigned and maintained in Colleague ERP
- Submits 941 tax payment (student payroll) documentation to accounts payable for ACH voucher entry
- Processes reconciliations of payroll tax accounts as needed
- Submits Payroll and AP banking files for payment in a timely manner
- Positive pay and ACH
- Triage all incoming items to payroll email inbox
- Routes to appropriate departments/individuals
- Maintains and updates semimonthly student and payroll schedules, serving as liaison between HR and Payroll departments
- Reconciles assigned general ledger accounts
- Prepares reports and necessary journal entries at month end
- Monitors compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage and hour laws and best practices
- May study to sit for Certified Payroll Professional in Spring 2022
- Acts as backup in absence of Asst Director of Accounting - Disbursements (processing payrolls, manual checks, voids, deposits, etc.)
- Previous experience as in payroll, finance or similar role
- Understanding of local and governmental rules regarding payroll
- Detail oriented and strong analytical ability.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and projects, mobilize efforts toward completion, and deliver with a high degree of quality on a consistent basis.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and evaluate procedures and make recommendations that improve productivity.
- Unique ability to communicate and interact in a professional and positive manner with a wide range of stakeholders including faculty, staff, students, vendors, and others who conduct business with the university community.
- Excellent writing, oral communications and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel
- Self-motivated and goal driven
- Well lighted office environment.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines.
- Ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computer and telephone; ability to lift and carry up to ten pounds; ability to read and write and to handle and process paper documents.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration/Management or related field
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum 3 years accounting experience in a Controller’s/Business Office, preferably in a college or university environment.
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, organizational, interpersonal, project management, communication skills and solid Microsoft Suite skills required.
- Ability to provide exceptional client service, demonstrate commitment to continuous learning, display appropriate ethical knowledge and commitment and exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and the timely completion of duties.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Resumes may be emailed to Assistant Director of Disbursements, Marie MacLaren: firstname.lastname@example.org.