The accountant will fill a key role in the Controller’s office. The position will support various aspects of finance and accounting for the university.
Essential Job Duties
- Prepares asset, liability, and revenue and expense account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information, preparing the statement of activities, statement of financial position, statement of cash flow and other reports.
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Guides accounting clerical staff by coordinating activities and answering questions.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies and variances by collecting analyzing account information and providing information to Management.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Prepares payments by verifying documentation and requesting disbursements.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Detail oriented and strong analytical ability.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and projects, mobilize efforts toward completion, and deliver with a high degree of quality on a consistent basis.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and evaluate procedures and make recommendations that improve productivity.
- Unique ability to communicate and interact in a professional and positive manner with a wide range of stakeholders including faculty, staff, students, vendors, and others who conduct business with the university community.
- Excellent writing, oral communications and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel
- Self-motivated and goal driven.
- ·Well lighted office environment.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines.
- ·Ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computer and telephone; ability to lift and carry up to ten pounds; ability to read and write and to handle and process paper documents.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration/Management or related field
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum 3 years accounting experience in a Controller’s/Business Office, preferably in a college or university environment.
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, organizational, interpersonal, project management, communication skills and solid Microsoft Suite skills required.
- Ability to provide exceptional client service, demonstrate commitment to continuous learning, display appropriate ethical knowledge and commitment and exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and the timely completion of duties.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Resumes may be emailed to Director Chip Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.