Position Reports to (Position Title)
Director, Undergraduate Student Success and Davis Center for Professional Development
The Davis College of Business and Technology is seeking applicants for the position of Academic Advisor in the Davis Center for Professional Development. The Academic Advisor provides comprehensive advising and support for students to enhance success.
- Provide day-to-day academic advising to assigned students on degree programs, including course selection, academic planning, college adjustment, educating on university policies and procedures, problem-solving, decision-making processes, and referrals to university resources.
- Engage in developing curriculum guides for majors and concentrations within the DCOBT.
- Monitor student academic progress and maintain accurate records utilizing tools such as Starfish and Self-Service.
- Provide reports and status updates periodically as requested to the Director of Undergraduate Student Success and Davis Center for Professional Development.
- Responsible for the registration of incoming students and responsive/visible during busy registration periods which could include some evenings and weekends.
- In collaboration with the Student Success Coordinator, conduct timely outreach to atrisk students and help them create action plans for improvement.
- Engage in student support activities such as freshman orientation, first year experience and adivising week.
- Assist with activities in the Center, including training and support of peer advisors, student success coordinator graduate assistant, and the Career Enhancement Opportunities Program.
- Think strategically and creatively about advising services and programs offered in the Davis Center; Be familiar with and implement high-impact best practices to continuously improve the advising model; Work collaboratively with a team, in the college and across campus, to provide exceptional services that prepare students for success; Coordinate student clubs, honor societies, and other activities in the Davis College of Business and Technology to maximize student engagement.
- Ensure effective communication with students, staff, and faculty in the Davis College to ensure stakeholders receive the information needed at the appropriate times and that the messages are clear, compelling, and motivating.
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area required
Minimum Work Experience:
- Experience in student services programs preferred. A successful candidate should possess exceptional critical thinking, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills.
- Masters degree.
- Minimum 1-3 years academic advising related experience.
- Demonstrated use of proactive and/or innovative approaches to working with college students which resulted in positive outcomes in persistence and retention.
- Understanding of the skills and education necessary for students to enter various professions.
- Knowledge and understanding of education and degree requirements for students through to graduation
- Able to lift and carry equipment and supplies;Must be able to bend, stoop and reach;
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines;
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens;
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a copy of their resume, cover letter, and list of references along with a completed JU Application to Amber Korn at email@example.com.