Provide comprehensive academic advising and support to a diverse freshmen and sophomore student population across multiple disciplines, with a focus on science and pre-health professions advising. Successful candidates should demonstrate proficiency and commitment to assisting students in academic planning, decision-making, and problem resolution.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist new and continuing undergraduate students in academic planning, decision-making, and problem resolution.
- Provide accurate, comprehensive information to students including academic program requirements, policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Monitor degree audits and academic progress of students and demonstrate use of degree audit to students
- Meet with students face-to-face, phone, web conference, and group advising sessions.
- Proactively engage students and provide interventions to academically at-risk students.
- Review and process administrative forms such as academic intervention forms, program change requests, transcript review, placement and standardized test scores, etc.
- Collaborate with faculty and academic departments to ensure accurate curricular information.
- Ability to coordinate student support and make referrals to university services, including financial aid, bursar, registrar, student life, athletics, etc.
- Exhibit cultural awareness and understanding.
- Computer/technology skills, including Microsoft Office suite and Colleague or similar ERP experience to conduct academic advising duties and create/process documents.
- Apply strong interpersonal skills to build positive, ongoing relationships with students.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to listen and infer meaning, engage students individually, and provide group presentations and advising sessions.
- Attention to detail, ability to organize and prioritize work, and understand/interpret policies and procedures.
- Ability to collaborate with others/teamwork, be flexible, adaptive and creative, and handle numerous tasks.
- Ability to learn, internalize, apply, and articulate requirements, policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Ability to think critically, analyze options, and identify barriers to student success.
- Engage in effective problem-solving, analysis, and research of student and system issues.
- Manage multiple priorities to balance service to students and administrative duties.
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to change.
- Must be accountable and dependable.
- Office setting. Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5:00. Some evenings and weekends as required.
- Position is primarily sedentary with some movement to adjacent buildings required.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree
Minimum Work Experience
- One-year experience in academic setting
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Master’s degree in higher education, counseling, education, or related field.
- Academic advising experience.
- Experience working with college students.
- Experience advising and supporting science majors, health, and pre-health professions students.
- Knowledge of Ellucian’s Colleague and Self-Service portal equivalent experience with ERP.
- Possess a leadership mindset and desire to contribute to departmental projects, growth, and success.
- Experience supporting a diverse student population
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Please submit your application and relevant materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.