How to Prevent COVID-19
Tips for staying healthy
Much is not yet known about the virus, including a definitive mode of transmission. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. At this time, this virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States, so there are no additional precautions recommended for the general public. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help limit the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Hand washing best practices
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
When to self-quarantine
Please stay home when you are sick. Do not come to campus, or satellite locations and do not attend campus events if you are experiencing any symptoms.
If you have returned from a high-risk area within the past two weeks, either internationally or domestically, you’re asked to quarantine yourself at home for 14 days, even if you are not experiencing symptoms. If you are experiencing symptoms, please contact the local Health Department and Student Affairs at email@example.com immediately.