Faculty & Staff Directory
Davis College of Business & Technology
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
William Montford, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Davis College of Business
William Montford is an Assistant Professor of Marketing in Jacksonville University’s Davis College of Business & Technology. Bill earned his Ph.D. (marketing), MBA, and BS (finance) from Florida State University. His primary research interests lie at the intersection of consumer behavior and public policy. Specifically, his current research examines issues in the context of financial and prosocial decisions. Bill’s work has been published in many leading scholarly journals, including the Journal of Business Research, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Journal of Consumer Affairs, and the International Journal of Consumer Studies and other outlets.
Before pursuing an academic career, Bill worked for sixteen years in the financial services industry. During his career, he worked for several institutions across a range of industries including portfolio management, investment analysis, personal banking, marketing, and sales and service.
Bill has taught a variety of marketing courses including Principles of Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Research, and Marketing Strategy at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Ph.D. - Florida State University, Marketing
- MBA - Florida State University
- BS - Florida State University, Finance
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Jacksonville University, 2016-Present
- Visiting Instructor of Marketing, Florida State University, 2016
- Teaching Assistant/Instructor of Marketing, Florida State University, 2012-2016
- Manager of Research Subject Pool, Florida State University, 2013-2016
- Investment Strategist and Portfolio Manager, Capital City Trust Company, 2005-2012
- Investment Analyst, State of Florida, 2002–2005
- Marketing Director, State of Florida, 2001-2002
- Investment Advisor and Sales Broker, Capital City Bank 2000-2001
- Office Manager and Business Development Officer, Atlantic States Bank 1998-2000
Recent Scholarship and Research
Sarofim, Samer, Elizabeth Minton, Amabel Hunting, Darrell Bartholomew, Saman Zehra, William Montford, Frank Cabano, and Pallab Paul (2020) “Religion’s Influence on the Financial Well-Being of Consumers: A Conceptual Framework and Research Agenda,” Journal of Consumer Affairs, (Accepted 4/20).
Montford, William, R. Bret Leary, and Duane Nagel, (2019) “The Impact of Implicit Self-Theories and Loss Salience on Financial Risk,” Journal of Business Research, 99, 1-11.
Montford, William, John Peloza, and Ronald Goldsmith, (2017) “No Pain, No Gain. How PACE Information Attenuates Consumption,” Journal of Consumer Marketing, 34 (7), 525-540.
Montford, William, and Ronald E. Goldsmith, (2016) “How Gender and Financial Self-Efficacy Influence Investment Risk Taking,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, 40 (1), 101-106.
Peloza, John, Christine Ye, and William Montford, (2015) “When Companies Do Good, Are Their Products Good for You? How Corporate Social Responsibility Creates a Health Halo” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 34 (1), 19-31.