Faculty & Staff Directory
Division of Social Sciences
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Matthew Unangst
Assistant Professor of History
- Ph.D., History, Temple University (2015)
- B.A., European History, University of California-Santa Cruz (2007)
Fields of Study
- Modern Germany
- Modern Africa
- Spatial History
- The Modern World (HIST 150)
- 20th-Century Europe (HIST 329)
- Modern Africa (HIST 350)
Selected Publications, Awards, and Service
- Book manuscript in progress: Geographies of Empire: German Colonialism, Race, and Space in East Africa, 1884-1905.
- "Re-Inventing the Heart of Darkness for the 21st Century: African Studies and the War on Terror since 9/11," in 9/11 and the Academy: Responses in the Liberal Arts and the 21st-Century World, ed. Mark Finney and Matt Shannon (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan).
- "Emin Pasha and the German Imagination of the Heart of Darkness," in After the Imperialist Imagination: 25 Years of Research on Global Germany and Its Legacies, eds. Sara Pugach, David Pizzo, and Adam Blackler (New York: Peter Lang).
- "Men of Science and of Action: The Celebrity of Explorers and German National Identity, 1870-1895" Central European History 50, no. 3(September 2017): 305-327
- "Changes in German Travel Writing about East Africa, 1884-1891," Colloquia Germanica 46, no. 2 (2016): 266-283.
- Bernadotte E. Schmitt Grant, American Historical Association, 2017
- Research Grant, Central European History Society, 2017
- Dr. Arthur N. Cook Award, Temple University, 2015-2016
- Travel Grant, German Historical Institute, 2015