Faculty & Staff Directory
Davis College of Business
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Don Capener
Dean, Robert T. Shircliff Endowed Chair
Davis College of Business
Don Capener was selected as dean at Jacksonville University- Davis College of Business in 2011. Under his leadership, graduate enrollment tripled, 13 international collaborations were started, and a doctorate of business administration was established. A serial entrepreneur, Capener founded Above the Rim Hoopwear. He was the 7th employee and VP- Marketing at Netcentives in San Francisco. He also started a marketing agency that became San Diego’s third largest.
Prior to spending 5 years as a Vice President and 6 as a marketing professor at Monmouth in Illinois, Dean Capener worked in executive roles at Leo Burnett and Reebok. Dr. Capener has corporate experience as a CEO. Capener is a recognized business leader and assembled an outstanding board of advisers from among the top business leadership in North Florida.
Don is a recognized thought leader internationally on LinkedIn. His recent scholarly publications include the 2018 Highly Commended Award from Emerald Publishing for his work on the policy topic of crowding out-The Impact of Federal Budget Deficits [on Interest Rates for New Bond Issuance]. He earned a PhD from the International School of Management in Paris- France, MBA from the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Arizona, and a bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. Capener is fluent in the Japanese language and an avid cultural linguist.
- Ph.D. - International Management, International School of Management, Paris, Fr.
- MBA - Marketing, Thunderbird School of Global Management
- B.A. - Political Science, Economics, Brigham Young University
- Dean, Davis College of Business, Jacksonville University (FL) 2011-Present
- Professor, International Management, Jacksonville University (FL) 2012-Present
- Vice President, Strategic Planning/Chief Marketing Officer, Monmouth College (IL) 2009-11
- Interim Vice President, Enrollment Management, Monmouth College (IL) 2010
- Elected Faculty Senator, Monmouth College (IL) 2005-07
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan 2007-08
- Associate Professor, Marketing, Monmouth College (IL) 2006-11
- Assistant Professor, Monmouth College (IL) 2001-05
- Lecturer, Advertising, San Diego State University, 1989-91
- Senior Vice President-Director of Client Services, Euro RSCG 4D 1999-2001
- Vice President-Chief Marketing Officer, Netcentives, Inc. 1997-99
- General Manager, Leo Burnett Company-ARC/Frankel 1993-97
- Co-Founder, President of The Capener Company Advertising, Above the Rim/Reebok, 1987-1993
Recent Scholarship & Research
Cebula, Richard, Foley, Maggie, Capener, Don (2016) "The Impact of Economic Freedom on the Unemployment Rate in OECD Nations: An Exploration Study Accepting the Validity of Okun's Law" ECONOMIA INTERNAZIONALE/International Economics
Rossi, Fabrizio, Cebula, Richard J. , Capener, Don (2016) "Exploratory Panel Data Evidence on the Relative Efficacy of Real Federal as Opposed to Real State Cigarette Excise Taxes in Reducing Cigarette Smoking in the United States" Bulletin of Applied Economics
Saltz, Ira and Capener, Don. (2014-084R2) "60 Years later, The Tiebout Hypothesis Still Going Strong: The Continued Relevance of the Tiebout Hypothesis". Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy
Cebula, Richard J. and Capener, Don (2015) "Public Policies for the 21st Century: Guidelines for the U.S. (and Elsewhere)". Business and Economics Journal.