Faculty & Staff Directory
Davis College of Business
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Don Capener
Dean, Robert T. Shircliff Endowed Chair
Davis College of Business
Don Capener was selected as dean at Jacksonville University- Davis College of Business in 2011. Under his leadership, graduate enrollment has doubled and a doctorate of business administration was established. A serial entrepreneur, Capener founded Above the Rim Hoopwear, and was the 7th employee and CMO of Netcentives in San Francisco. He also started a marketing agency that became San Diego’s third largest. Dean Capener worked in marketing management and agency roles for Leo Burnett/Frankel, Visa, PayPal, and Reebok. His first startup sold to Reebok and his second start-up, Netcentives, went public via NASDAQ in 1999. While at Netcentives, he helped drive the marketing architecture and developed systems and technology solutions to distribute airline miles as rewards for online purchases and as employee bonuses.
Dr. Capener was the professor of the year at Monmouth College. He taught international business and marketing for a total of 11 years and was promoted to Vice President over academic initiatives and international programs in 2008. Capener led Jacksonville’s growth in international programs forging tight collaborations with Waseda University in Tokyo, Kingston University in London, and the European Business School in Germany. He is a popular professor teaching strategic management, entrepreneurism, and international marketing. Dean Capener is a recognized business leader in North Florida and a thought leader/influencer in LinkedIn. He earned a PhD from the International School of Management in Paris, France. Dr. Capener holds masters and bachelor’s degrees from Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School and Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
- Ph.D. - International Management, International School of Management, Paris, Fr.
- MBA - Marketing, Thunderbird School of Global Management
- B.A. - Political Science, Economics, Brigham Young University
- Dean, Davis College of Business, Jacksonville University (FL) 2011-Present
- Professor, International Management, Jacksonville University (FL) 2012-Present
- Vice President, Strategic Planning/Chief Marketing Officer, Monmouth College (IL) 2009-11
- Interim Vice President, Enrollment Management, Monmouth College (IL) 2010
- Elected Faculty Senator, Monmouth College (IL) 2005-07
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan 2007-08
- Associate Professor, Marketing, Monmouth College (IL) 2006-11
- Assistant Professor, Monmouth College (IL) 2001-05
- Lecturer, Advertising, San Diego State University, 1989-91
- Senior Vice President-Director of Client Services, Euro RSCG 4D 1999-2001
- Vice President-Chief Marketing Officer, Netcentives, Inc. 1997-99
- General Manager, Leo Burnett Company-ARC/Frankel 1993-97
- Co-Founder, President of The Capener Company Advertising, Above the Rim/Reebok, 1987-1993
Recent Scholarship & Research
Cebula, Richard, Foley, Maggie, Capener, Don (2016) "The Impact of Economic Freedom on the Unemployment Rate in OECD Nations: An Exploration Study Accepting the Validity of Okun's Law" ECONOMIA INTERNAZIONALE/International Economics
Rossi, Fabrizio, Cebula, Richard J. , Capener, Don (2016) "Exploratory Panel Data Evidence on the Relative Efficacy of Real Federal as Opposed to Real State Cigarette Excise Taxes in Reducing Cigarette Smoking in the United States" Bulletin of Applied Economics
Saltz, Ira and Capener, Don. (2014-084R2) "60 Years later, The Tiebout Hypothesis Still Going Strong: The Continued Relevance of the Tiebout Hypothesis". Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy
Cebula, Richard J. and Capener, Don (2015) "Public Policies for the 21st Century: Guidelines for the U.S. (and Elsewhere)". Business and Economics Journal.