Tuition Appeals Process
If a student feels he or she has an extenuating circumstance which justifies an exception to the refund policy, he or she may appeal to the Tuition Appeals Committee in the following manner:
- The Tuition Appeals Committee will review appeals received no later than 90 days from the end of the semester in which the course was offered.
- Appeals received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
- All requests must be submitted in writing to the Student Financial Services Office (1st Floor Howard Administration Bldg.) and must include supporting documentation (e.g. copies of registration form, drop/add forms, medical verification) and the TUITION APPEALS FORMS.
- Appeals received without the proper documentation and form will not be reviewed.
- Appeals must be made by the student. Appeals made "on behalf of" a student will not be reviewed.
- The Tuition Appeals Committee will review appeals for tuition ONLY. The appeal of fees such as parking fines, room, board, library, etc... should be directed to that respective Department.
The Committee's decisions are final.
The Committee meets on the last Tuesday of the month. Appeals must be received one week prior to the meeting. Appeals received after that time will be held over for the next scheduled meeting. Students will receive a written response within a two week period after the committee makes their final decision. Decisions will not be given over the phone. Appeals based on lack of awareness deadlines for 100% drop is not a serious and compelling reason to seek a refund, and therefore will not be approved.
Examples of acceptable criteria for appeal:
- Death in the student's immediate family (parent, sibling, offspring, spouse)
- Unforeseen Medical incapacitation
- Military Duty (orders must accompany appeal)
- Major employment change
- Fire, flood, etc...
Examples of unacceptable criteria for appeal:
- Changed your mind about college
- Poor academic performance
- Disciplinary withdraw
- Did not receive enough financial aid
- Did not attend classes
The Tuition Appeals Committee does not, under any circumstances, take phone calls. All appeals must be submitted in writing. If you need assistance with what documentation to provide or how to present your argument, please feel free to use the services of the Student Solutions Center (Davis Student Commons).