Respondus 4.0 is a software tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed
on paper or published directly to your Blackboard or Canvas course. It supports up
to 15 question types, including calculated and algorithmic formats. Questions created
in a Word document, including embedded images, can be easily imported into it. Respondus
4.0 also enables faculty to export test created in Blackboard or Canvas to a Word
LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. It prevents a user from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment.
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses webcam and video technology to prevent cheating during online exams. Monitor integrates with Blackboard and Canvas and is ideal for non-proctored testing environments. Students will use their own computer and a webcam to record assessment sessions without leaving the Blackboard course.
Respondus is a Windows-based authoring tool that makes it easy to create and manage exams for Blackboard Learn.
- Distinct user environments for Blackboard Learn and Canvas
- Create exams and assessments offline using a Windows interface
- Supports up to 15 question types, including calculated and algorithmic formats
- Import questions from MS Word (including embedded images), rich-text, QTI, and tab/comma delimited formats
- Access to thousands of Respondus-compatible publisher test banks – FREE to instructors who adopt a participating textbook
Preview, Publish and Printing Features
- Preview questions before publishing them to the LMS
- Publish exams and assessments directly to an online course (media files are automatically uploaded)
- Determine point values and exam settings offline
- Print exams/surveys directly from Respondus, or save files to MS Word or rich-text format
Retrieval and Reporting Features
- Retrieve exams from Blackboard, complete with media files
- Retrieve custom reports, such as student scores, summary statistics, and answer distributions
- Download answer databases for quizzes or surveys and save them in an Excel-compatible format
- Archive and restore exam/survey projects (including media content) with one click — ideal for providing a colleague with a ready-to-use exam
Windows 10, 8, 7
32 MB RAM minimum
Hard Disk Space
10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
1024x768 or 1280x720 minimum resolution
The file size is approximately 10 MB.
Learning Management System
Respondus 4.0 is compatible with the following learning management systems and industry standards:
- Blackboard Learn 9.X
- Instructure Canvas
Office Computers: Contact IT at email@example.com and request the Respondus 4.0 software installation on your office computer. Be sure to include your Building, Office Number, and Computer Number.
Home Computers: Log into MyJU. Refer to the Academic Technology, Respondus page. The software and password information is included.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard test requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Print, Print Screen and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
- Supports screen readers
LockDown Browser System Requirements
Windows: 10, 8, 7
Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only)
Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
Learning Management Systems
LockDown Browser integrates with the following learning management systems:
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 or higher
Installation of LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install:
Taking a Test Using LockDown Browser
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Login to your Blackboard course.
- Navigate to the test and select it.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses webcam and video technology to prevent cheating during online exams. Respondus Monitor integrates seamlessly with learning management systems, and is ideal for non-proctored testing environments.
System Requirements (Students)
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only)
- Adobe Flash Player (bundled with the LockDown Browser installation)
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband Internet connection
Using Respondus Monitor (Students)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) The computer requirements are listed above. If an exam requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, the guideline in Respondus LockDown “Taking A Test Using LockDown Browser” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly. The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and Remember.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by Jacksonville University and/or your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.