- Ph.D., Latin American History, Florida International University, 2003
- M.A., United States History, Marshall University, 1996
- B.A., History, Marshall University, 1993
Fields of study
- Latin American history
- Family history
- United States-Latin American relations
- The Modern World (HIST 150)
- The Technique of History (HIST 300WI)
- Colonial Latin American History
- Modern Latin American History
- United States-Latin American Relations
- Argentina (HIST 355)
- Brazil (HIST 356)
Selected publications, awards, and service
- "Childhood Memories and the Politics of Justice in Post-Rosas Argentina: The Restitution Suit of Olalla Alvarez,"
Girls in the World: A Global Anthology, edited by Jennifer Helgren and Colleen A. Vasconcellos (Piscataway, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2010), 105-123.
- "Open Veins, Hidden Transcripts: The National Security Archive as a Tool for Critical Pedagogy in the College Classroom,"
Radical History Review, Issue 102 (Fall 2008), 90-98.
- "Love and Authority in Argentina (Nineteenth Century)," in
Children and Youth in World History, edited by Miriam Forman-Brunell and Kelly Schrum. Washington, DC: Center for History and New Media, 2008.
- "Mexico," "Afro-Mexican Identity," "Industrialization," "Truth and Reconciliation Commissions," "Paraguay," and "Uruguay" in
Africa and the Americas: History, Culture, and Politics (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC Clio, 2008).
- "'Savages' Into Supplicants: Subversive Women and Restitution Petitions in Córdoba, Argentina during the Rosas Era,"
The Americas 64, no. 1 (July 2007), 59-85.
- "Bibliographical Sources on Africans in Mexico and Argentina," with Roberto Pacheco.
Papers of the Fiftieth Annual Meeting of the Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials (2005).
- University of Florida, Latin American and Caribbean Center, 2011
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Global Advisory Board on the History of Childhood, 2007-2009
- Fund for the Improvement of Secondary Education (FIPSE) Grant, U.S. Department of Education, 2003-2004
- Fulbright Scholarship, Institute of International Education, Argentina, 1999-2000
- Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, Title VI, U.S. Department of Education, 1997-1999
- Treasurer, Florida Conference of Historians
- Assessment Coordinator, History Department (JU)