Welcome to Jacksonville University!
Jacksonville University's mission is to prepare each student for lifelong success in learning, achieving, leading and serving.
JU was founded in 1934 and combines the advantages of a liberal arts college with the strengths of an urban, comprehensive university.
JU offers 7 bachelor's degree programs and more than 70 majors, programs and concentrations. There are graduate programs in nursing, business, education, marine science, math and fine arts.
JU is located in a beautiful riverfront setting in vibrant Jacksonville, across the St. John's River from downtown.
VA Education Benefits
We are excited to work with our active military, veteran and transfer of entitlement students to meet their educational and career goals. JU participates in all Chapters of VA education benefits. JU currently has an enrollment of approximately 3,500 students, and over 10% are recipients of VA education benefits.
The Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program
Currently we have a 100% match of the Yellow Ribbon program! It is for 100% eligible Post 9/11 GI Bill undergraduate students, excluding the Division of Aeronautics. Graduate students have a 100% match, up to $2,400 maximum per year, excluding the Orthodontics program. Complete the VA form 22-1990 on the www.gibill.va.gov website.
Transfer of Entitlement of Post/9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents - any member of the Armed Forces, who is eligible for the Post 9/11 GI bill and meets the following:
1. Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces and agrees to serve 4 additional years.
2. Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces and is precluded from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve the maximum allowable by statute.
3. Is or becomes retirement eligible through July 31, 2012, and agrees to serve an additional period. This will no longer be available August 1,2013.
4. The transfer must be requested and approved while the member is in the Armed Forces.
The Service member can transfer the benefit on the www.defenselink.mil website and the recipient needs to complete a VA form 22-1990e on the www.gibill.va.gov website.
JU welcomes Everbank on Monday, March 4th, 5:00 - 6:30 in DCOB room 159!
The topic will be Internships for veteran students.
SVA meeting February 21st at noon in the Usen Auditorium Student Commons
Mayor Alvin Brown
City of Jacksonville
Department of Military Affairs, Veteran & Disabled Services
Military Veterans Job Fair
Friday, November 9, 2012 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
Prime Osborn Convention Center
VA Customer Service window
The Registrar VA customer Service Window is now open!
It is at the Registrar's Office in the Howard Building, 1st floor, 12:00 - 2:00pm M-Th
New Student Information
JU VA Contacts:
Carolyn Phillips, Associate Registrar 904 256-7091 email@example.com
Sandra Roman, Records Specialist 904 256-7233 firstname.lastname@example.org
VA email: VAregistrar@ju.edu
JU Student Veterans of America (SVA) club
Danielle D'Amato, President
Ted Chancellor, Vice President
Lissette Matos-Minehart, Treasurer
Eric Daniels, Secretary
Standard Meetings: The first Wednesday of each month at Nellies at noon
Special Meeting: Tuesday, October 16th at Nellies at noon meet SVA Faculty Advisor Dr. Mike Nancarrow, Math
two new faculty members to the club, Dr. Pam Rhillstone and Dr. Lynette Kennison, Nursing
and Commander Chris "Rip" McCarthy and Major Michael Beckhart, NRTOC
SVA newsletter 9-26-2012.docx
VA Work Study
Opportunities may be available in the JU Registrar
or at VA facilities in the Jacksonville area
Free Mentoring from Business Leaders through
American Corporate Partners
Free Professional Career Counseling
Mayor Alvin Brown and the City of Jacksonville, in partnership with the Jacksonville Military Veterans Coalition (JMVC) jobs for Vets initiative, will offer career counseling to military veterans and service members planning their transition back to civilian life. This free service will be offered at City Hall on the third Thursday of each month.
WHEN: Third Thursday of each month, 3pm – 6pm
WHERE: City Hall, Mezzanine Floor, 117 W. Duval St, Jacksonville 32202
WHO: Military veterans who are interested in career counseling, resume help, interview preparation, translation of military skills to civilian jobs, and overall assistance in preparing for a successful post-military career.
The Military Affairs, Veteran and Disabled Services Department of the City of Jacksonville and the JMVC are dedicated to helping veterans and their families transition to and excel in civilian life. A key to achieving this success is having the right approach and guidance in finding the best career for each veteran.
Free Career Counseling Services via telephone
The following JMVC employment staffing companies are also offering career counseling services via telephone, at no charge to veterans.
Mondays: Stafftime 904-215-1313
Tuesdays: Incepture 877-347-7151
Wednesdays: I-Tech Personnel 904-381-1911
Thursdays: Apex Systems 866-594-2739
Fridays: Genuent 904-551-1906
Jacksonville University is a G.I.Jobs military friendly school
VA Spotlight (coming soon)
GI Bill website www.gibill.va.gov
Student Veterans of America www.studentveterans.org
Jacksonville Military Veterans Coalition on the City of Jacksonville www.coj.net
Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance www.mesothelioma.com/veterans
Dogs on Deployment www.dogsondeployment.com
New JU VA Student Questionnaire
In order for us to better serve you, please complete the questionnaire below. Once the questionnaire is reviewed, you will be contacted by a JU VA Representative.
Student Statement of Responsibility
As a student receiving veteran benefits, I understand that I am responsible for the following:
- 1. Once all VA documents requested have been received, and my JU file is complete, the JU VA Representative will automatically certify eligible courses each semester.
- 2. If there is a specific term or course that I do not want to certify, it is my responsibility to notify the JU VA Representative.
- 3. If I am using TA or other Federal funds for specific courses, including ROTC, MyCAA, HPSP, GETA, it is my responsibility to notify the JU VA Representative.
- 4. The courses for certification must be required for my JU degree. Electives can only be certified, if required in my degree.
- 5. VA coursework is monitored after the Drop/Add and Withdrawal periods. Any reductions or changes to my enrollment will be reported to the VA. Reductions may affect benefits retroactively to the beginning of the term unless mitigating circumstances exist.
- 6. Changes to enrollment after certification may result in a balance due to the VA or JU.
- 7. JU transient students must provide a Guest Student or Concurrent Enrollment form from the home institution for each term.
- 8. Certification is not done for courses audited, not required for the major, or already successfully completed for the major.