Sign In

Grading Information

Updated October 24, 2012
Grade Scale
JU operates on a 4.0 scale. 

Page Content
Letter Grade
Numerical Equivalent
  (Grade Points)
Exceptional Work
 Excellent Work 
 Good Work 
 Good Work 
 Good Work 
 Satisfactory Work 
 Satisfactory Work 
 Passing Work 
 Passing Work 
 Passing Work  
 Passing Work 
 Unsatisfactory    Work; Failure 
 Not included in GPA 
 Not included in GPA 
 Not included in GPA
 Not included in GPA
 Not included in GPA
Grade Point Requirements & GPA Calculation
Grade Points Formula:
Letter Grade  
(Numerical equivalent)
 Nos. Hours Credit 
 Grade Points
GPA Formula:
Total Grade Points
Total credit hours attempted
Graduate Student Grades
Graduate students in graduate courses do not receive “C-,” “D+,” “D,” or “D-” grades, but will receive an “F” for any graduate courses they earn less than a “C.”  Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate courses are not affected by this rule.
Graduation GPA Requirements
·         Undergraduate students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) to avoid adverse academic action and to qualify for graduation. 
·         Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA to avoid adverse academic action and to qualify for graduation. 
 “I” Grades - Incompletes
·         An incomplete (“I”) grade indicates that not all course work was completed by the end of the term and that the student received permission from the professor for an extension to complete the work.
·         The student will be expected to complete all work by the end of the fourth week of the next semester/term, if the work is not completed by the deadline, the “I” will change to an “F” grade.
·         Faculty may grant an extension of the time to complete the “I” grade to the last day of classes of the next semester by submitting a written request to the Registrar’s Office.   
“W” Grade - Course Withdrawal
·         During the withdrawal period the student may withdraw from a course. 
·         Withdrawn classes will receive a “W” grade.  The “W” will appear on the student’s transcript, but will not compute into the student’s GPA.
·         To withdraw from a class a student must complete the Registration/Schedule Change Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office or go on-line to Web Advisor and withdraw using the Register, Drop or Withdraw from Sections Link and then the Drop Link
·         Traditional Freshmen are required to have their advisor sign the Registration/Schedule Change Form.
·         Student-athletes are required to obtain the signatures on the Student-Athlete Withdrawal Form.  
·         Before withdrawing from a course the student should make sure that their eligibility for financial aid, scholarships, participation in sports, student activities, work, or any other condition that requires full-time student status at JU is maintained.
·         Students who fail to attend a course or courses without filing a withdrawal request will receive a grade of “F” in each course.
·         Exceptions to the withdrawal deadline will be granted only for an unforeseen and unavoidable documented emergency that precludes completion of the course or courses.  All exceptions must be approved by the academic dean.
Traditional Term Classes
·         The withdrawal period starts after the drop/add period and runs until the end of the tenth week of the traditional fall and spring semesters or the fourth week of a summer term.
·         Students should consult the academic calendar for exact dates.
Accelerated Campus Classes
·         The withdrawal period starts after the drop period (2nd Friday of the term) and runs until the fourth Friday of the term for the fall, spring and summer terms.
Accelerated On-Line Classes
·         The withdrawal period starts after the drop period (1st Sunday of the term) and runs until the fourth Sunday of the fall, spring and summer terms. 
Grades for Classes with “N”
Certain course designations include the letter “N,” e.g., ENGL 100N. Such courses are included in credit hours attempted during the term and grades received are counted in the computation of GPAs, but the credit hours are not applicable to the total hours required for graduation.
Audited Classes
·         Only undergraduate students may “audit” a class.
·         Students may not audit a class in the core or their major.
·         Students enrolled for “audit” will receive neither grade nor credit toward a degree.
·         Once enrolled, the “audit” status may not be changed for credit after the drop/add period.
Pass/Fail Option
·         A grading of “Pass” or “Fail” is available to degree-seeking undergraduates who have earned at least 28 credit hours and who are not subject to probation.
·         The option is not available to graduate students. 
·         Pass/Fail options cannot be used to correct any type of academic deficiency or to earn hours by repeating a failed course. 
·         A Pass/Fail Audit Form must be provided to the Registrar’s Office and may not be changed after the final day of the drop/add period.  
·         A maximum of 12 credit hours can be taken on a Pass/Fail basis
·         Maximum of four credit hours per semester.
·          The following courses may not be taken on a Pass/Fail basis:
o    English: ENGL 103 and ENGL 203
o    Any course used to fulfill core curriculum requirements
o    Courses required by the major or minor
o    Honors courses
o    Independent study courses
·         A “P” is earned for “D-” quality work or better; the credit hours are counted in hours earned toward a degree, but the GPA is unaffected. An “F” has the value of a regular “F,” and the GPA is appropriately affected.
Final Grades
Final grades are usually due to the Registrar’s office the Wednesday after the end of the semester and final exams.  Students may view their grades on-line using Web Advisor.
Repeating a Class & Grade Substitution
Repeating a Class
·         The grade awarded for each attempt of a course is included on the transcript and in the GPA computation, including “F” grades where the student repeated the course and earned a passing grade. 
·         Some JU courses may be repeated for degree credit. Such courses have a repeatability statement in the course description. All other courses may be repeated to improve a student’s GPA, but not for degree credit. If any course is repeated, but is not specified as repeatable for credit in the Catalog, the grade earned will be included in the GPA, but no hours earned are credited toward the degree requirements.
·         A student who earns a grade of “F” at JU cannot repeat the same course or a comparable course at another institution for transfer to JU.
Grade Substitutions
·         Undergraduate students may have up to two grades substituted. 
·         The Grade Substitution Request Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s office before the end of the 100% Drop Period for the term when the course is repeated. 
·         If the grade substitution results in a “W” (withdraw) grade or “F” grade, they will still count as one of the two substitutions allowed. 
·         If the grade substitution results in a “F” (failure) grade the “F” will replace the original grade in the Cum GPA even if it was passing.
·         Graduate students are not eligible for grade substitution.
Appeals of Grades and SanctionsMost questions on grades can easily be answered through consultation with the instructor. In the event that a student feels he/she has been treated unfairly, in that an instructor has deviated from his/her prescribed formula for grading in an arbitrary or punitive manner, the student may appeal the grade.
The following timetable and grade appeal process shall be used whenever the student disagrees with a grade assigned, for academic misconduct or any other reason.
  • Appeals cannot normally be made unless a student has first discussed his/her concerns with the instructor. This conference should take place within three business days of the student being notified of the grade assigned, unless unforeseen and extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control warrant an extension. The student must be able to document such extenuating circumstances if requested by the instructor. If the grade assigned was for an assignment due the last week of the semester or on a final examination, the student and instructor must meet to confer no later than three business days after the beginning of the following semester.
  • If the concerns remain unresolved after the conference with the instructor, the student must inform the instructor in writing within two business days of the conference that he/she is dissatisfied with the results of the conference. The student may then appeal the instructor's decision to the appropriate Division Chair, or the College Dean if the department or academic unit in which the course is taught is not part of a division.  In the case that the grade in question was assigned by an adjunct member of the faculty, the appeal must also be made directly to the appropriate Division Chair or College Dean.  An appeal must be formally submitted in writing, clearly stating and documenting the evidence for unfair, arbitrary or unwarranted treatment and must be submitted within ten business days of the student's written notification to the instructor that the issue remains unresolved.  The Division Chair/College Dean shall confer with both the student and the concerned faculty member (or adjunct, if available) together within five business days of receiving the written appeal.  The concerned faculty member (or adjunct, if he/she so desires) may at this time submit a formal written response to the student's appeal.
  • If the student's concern is still unresolved after the conference with the Chair/Dean and faculty member, or if the instructor (or adjunct, if available) disagrees with the decision of the Chair/Dean, the Chair/Dean shall within five business days form a committee of five faculty members, four from within the Division/College to review the work in question and one from the Committee on Academic Standards, who comes from outside the Division/College, to insure that both the student and faculty member are fairly treated. Within ten business days the committee must review the case and issue its final recommendation.  The committee may either recommend the grade remain unchanged from the instructor's decision or recommend the grade be changed to a value the committee deems appropriate for the case. If the case involves academic misconduct, the committee at that time may also recommend probation or suspension of the student, or dismissal from the University based upon compelling evidence of serious academic misconduct. In cases where the committee rules that the student should receive a penalty resulting in a grade of "F" or a course, the student may not withdraw or be withdrawn from the course at any time.
  • The committee's recommendation then must be issued into the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Division Chair/College Dean, the instructor and the student in writing along with an explanation of the rationale for the recommendation. it is the responsibility of the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs to see that the recommendation is carried out.  If a semester/term ends without the process reaching a final resolution, the process should continue at the beginning of the next semester at the point that was reached at the conclusion of the previous semester.  In this case, the grade assigned for the course will be recorded as "NG" (no grade) on the student's official transcript, without prejudice, until the case is resolved.
  • If the Division or College does not follow the procedures outline above then the student or instructor may appeal directly to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.  This appeal must be in writing and must clearly demonstrate how the procedures contained in this Grade Appeal Process were violated.  The Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs is to determine whether proper procedures have been followed. In the event that they have not been followed, any recommendation or decision may be declared null and void and sent back to the Division or College for reexamination.  The final disposition of the case must be reported to both the instructor and the student prior to the issuance of the grade.
General Grade Requirements for all Bachelor Degrees
·         A minimum of “C” (2.0) average for all work taken at JU.
·         A student must have a “C” (2.0) average in major.
·         A student must have a “C” (2.0) average in minor.
·         Freshman English (ENGL103) requires a minimum grade of “C-“(1.67).
Program Minimum Grade Requirements
JU has numerous programs for a student to choose from.  Courses within some programs may require a minimum grade for the course to be used towards degree or as a prerequisite.  The courses which require a minimum grade have been included in the following section listed under the correlating programs.
            College of Arts and Science
·         Students must complete two upper division writing intensive courses (BIOL /MSC xxxWI)             and must earn a minimum “C-“in at least one WI course.
·         A minimum grade of “C-” is required of Biology majors in any course utilized as a prerequisite.
·         Chemistry majors and minors must earn a "C" (2.0) or better in any course utilized as a prerequisite.
·         Students majoring in communication must earn a "C" grade or better in all communication core courses. 
·         A grade of "C" or better must be earned in all prerequisite communication courses before taking a course with the stated prerequisite.
                        Computing Science
·         A minimum grade of “C” is required in any course used as a prerequisite to a CS course. 
                        Marine Science
·         A minimum grade of “C-” is required of marine science majors in any course utilized as a prerequisite.
·         Majors must earn a minimum of "C-" in at least one WI course (MSC310WI or upper division WI elective).
·         It is strongly suggested that language courses be taken in consecutive semesters.  If a student receives an “F” in a course, the student must repeat the course before taking the next course in sequence.
            School of Education
·         All courses with a prefix of EDU and ELE must have a grade of “C” or better. The School of Education does not grant + or – grades.
·         The following designated courses must have a grade of “C-” or better:  MATH 110 (or 112 or 140), PHYS 104/116, POL 205, ENGL 103, CS 150, HIST 150, ENGL 203, ECON 201, PHIL 101 
            Davis College of Business
·         A “C” (2.0) or better is required in each of the following DCOB core requirements for all business majors: ACCT 201, ACCT 202, MGT 308WI/SI, MGT 321, DSIM 203, ECON 201, ECON 202, and MATH 112
·         Students majoring in accounting must earn a “C” or better in ACCT 201 and ACCT 202 before taking all 300 level and above accounting courses, except ACCT 305. 
·         In addition, accounting majors must earn a “C” or better in ACCT 311 before taking ACCT 312, ACCT 450, and ACCT 453.
·         Students minoring in accounting must earn a “C” or better in ACCT 201, ACCT 202, and ACCT 311.
                        Davis Aviation Center
·         Aviation Management & Flight Operations (AVO) and Aviation Management (AVM) majors require a “C” (2.0) or better in order to use these courses as part of the Davis College of Business Core Curriculum requirement for any business major.  ACCT 201, ACCT 202, MGT 308WI/SI, ECON 201, ECON 202, MATH 112.
·         Students majoring in AVO must earn a “C” or better in courses AVS 101, AVS 202, AVS 303, AVS 401 and AVS 411.
·         The CTI program is open to both AVO and AVM students. However, to receive CTI endorsement, all students must take AVM 405 (Advanced Air Traffic Control) and obtain a grade of “C” or better in this class. In addition, AVO students must complete AVM 403 (Basic Air Traffic Control), and all required aviation science (AVS) and flight courses (AVO) with a “C” grade or better. AVM students who wish to participate in the CTI program must select the Air Traffic Control track, and complete AVS 101 and AVM 403 as well as all track-specific courses (AVS 102, AVM 306, AVM 405, AVM 490/488) with a “C” grade or better.
·         Students majoring in economics must earn a “C” or better in ECON 201, ECON 202, ECON 304, and ECON 305.
·         Students minoring in economics must earn a “C” or better in ECON 201 and ECON 202.
·         Students majoring or minoring in finance must earn a "C" or better in FIN 301.
                        Sport Management
·         Courses with a prefix of PE must earn a grade of “C” or better.
·         The following designated courses must earn a grade of “C” or better: MGT 301, MGT 310, MKG 301, MKG 333, MKG 336.
            College of Health Science
                        School of Nursing
·         Only grades of “A,” “B,” or “C” are considered passing for nursing prerequisite and nursing courses required for the major. If progression is interrupted, for any reason, a nursing major is considered "Out-of-Sequence". A nursing major shall not progress to any higher level nursing course unless at least a grade of “C” is earned in all preceding nursing courses. In all clinical courses, the student must pass the clinical evaluation. Students shall not progress to Nursing Synthesis until all other nursing and non-nursing required courses are successfully completed.
·         Students may only repeat one nursing course. If a grade of “C” or better is earned in the repeated course, the student will be permitted to continue in the program. If less than a grade of “C” is earned in the repeated course, any concurrent nursing courses, or any succeeding nursing courses, the student will be dismissed from the program.
·         For School of Nursing Traditional or Freshman BSN Program, Students who have not had Pre-calculus in high school with a grade of “B” or better, received AP credit for Calculus or placed into JU’s core math based on math placement results will be required to take College Algebra (MATH 104).
                        Sports and Exercise Science
·         Must earn a grade of “C” or better in courses with a prefix of PE.
·         Any of the following courses taken for degree must be passed with a grade of “C” or better: BIOL 214, BIOL 215, and BIOL 216.
·         For a Coaching Minor and Exercise Science Minor, each course required by the Coaching Minor and Exercise Science Minor must be passed with a “C” or better.   
            College of Interdisciplinary and Professional Studies
·         A number of the Sustainability courses require the completion of prerequisite courses.  Student should consult academic catalog for a complete list of minimum grade requirements of all courses and prerequisites.