The Kinesiology Program is a new and important component of the School of Applied Health Sciences in the College of Health Sciences at Jacksonville University. We are committed to accomplishing the School’s mission “to prepare healthcare professionals for careers defined by excellence in practice, community service, and lifelong professional development. Teaching, research, and community engagement serve as our core values.”
Kinesiology is an emerging, exciting, and greatly needed academic discipline that focuses on optimizing “health, wellness, and performance”.
There are two primary agendas for the discipline:
- Study Human Movement. Kinesiologists use state-of-the-art technology to assess and study human movement. Application to human health and performance include biomechanics, anatomy, physiology, orthopedics, biomedical engineering, neuroscience, sport and exercise psychology, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, strength and conditioning, sport science, exercise science, etc.
- Study Physical Activity. Kinesiologists are also experts of physical activity and strive to understand its impact on health, society, and quality of life.
Kinesiology is typically the undergraduate degree of choice for students seeking:
- Traditional areas of “health”. This degree prepares students well for fitness, health promotion, physical activity, recreation, sport, etc.
- Emerging areas of “movement science”. This degree will prepare students to use technology to study human movement in sport, exercise, and clinical settings.
- A graduate degree in Kinesiology and related fields. This degree prepares students well for graduate work in kinesiology and related fields such as biomechanics, physiology, neuroscience, motor behavior, sport and exercise psychology, pedagogy, etc.
- A graduate degree in allied health/medical fields. This prepares students well for medical school, physician assistant, public health, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, etc.
The motto for the Kinesiology Program is the
Latin phrase “mens sana in corpore sano”. The phrase translates as “a healthy
mind in a healthy body”. We believe in the need for both an active mind and a
healthy body. Our mission is to promote lifelong learning and physically active
lifestyles that will greatly influence health, wellness, performance, and
quality of life.
The Kinesiology Program optimally prepares undergraduate students to enter professional occupations in the emerging and multifaceted human movement industry. We provide an engaging and challenging learning environment that provides our students with the theoretical knowledge base and kinesiological skills necessary to thrive professionally. We strive to develop future leaders with an emphasis on diversity and promoting intellectual inquiry, while serving the broader university and the Jacksonville, Florida community.
The Kinesiology Program is dedicated to developing lifelong learners committed to personal and professional excellence. The following ideals are emphasized throughout the Major:
- Promotion of leadership, scholarship, and professional competence in kinesiological specializations,
- Provision of a challenging and reflective learning environment focused on academic distinction,
- Creation of a classroom atmosphere that develops intellectual creativity and critical thinking skills,
- Dedicated Faculty that accomplish excellence in teaching, advising, service, and scholarship,
- Promotion of physically active lifestyles and sound nutritional practices,
- Promotion of diversity and equality.
Strategic Planning 2014-2017
- Build interdisciplinary collaborations and new initiatives that allows for student learning, intellectual growth and cross disciplinary research
- Develop entrepreneurial methods to advance Kinesiology department goals and mission
- Increase undergraduate Kinesiology student enrollment
- Conduct a series of recruiting activities to achieve the goal of maintaining excellence in both number and quality of students
- Develop a Health and Human Performance Laboratory
- Develop a Master of Science in Kinesiology
- Develop an entry-level Master of Science in Athletic Training
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology Program Outcomes
Upon completion of the Kinesiology Degree, the graduate will be able to:
- Synthesize knowledge from the liberal arts and sciences, and the kinesiological sciences to understand global perspectives, stimulate critical thinking, and use current technologies.
- Demonstrate internship/clinical excellence to provide caring, compassionate, and knowledge-based services to people in a variety of physical activity settings.
- Utilize ethical principles and critical decision-making skills to function as a leader.
- Engage in lifelong learning and scholarly inquiry to continue professional career development. Compose a plan for professional development and lifelong learning that will continue to advance the knowledge level in the kinesiological sciences.
- Promote healthy lifestyles, disease treatment, and prevention through physical activity.
- Incorporate evidence-based knowledge and theory into kinesiological skills and practice.
- Use learned leadership skills to assess, plan, and deliver evidence-based care to populations.