Home > Academic Affairs > Important Dates to Remember
PLEASE NOTE THIS LIST IS NOT ALL INCLUSIVE - PLEASE REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE SECTIONS OF THE FACULTY HANDBOOK AND THE FACULTY BYLAWS AND STATUES.
- September: in the Fall semester, no earlier than the fifth (5th) and no later than the sixth (6th) year, the candidate sends a written request for consideration for tenure to the division chair, who shall them inform the dean of the candidacy (Faculty Bylaws and Statutes, Statute 11, Section 4)
- October: The candidate prepares a tenure portfolio to document all pertinent information (See Appendix D of the Faculty Handbook). The candidate submits two (2) copies of the tenure portfolio to the division chair by October 1st.
- November: Prior to December 1st, the division chair submits to the dean and the Committee on Tenure and Promotion (T&P) all pre-tenure evaluations, the division chair's written evaluation and recommendation for or against tenure, the results of the division faculty vote, and a copy of the candidate's portfolio.
- December: By December 15th, the dean draws up a written evaluation and recommendation for or against tenure and forwards this document to the Chief Academic Officer for Academic Affairs (CAO).
- January-May: Members of T&P review the information from the division chair and the candidate's portfolio. T&P meet to draw up a written evaluation and recommendation for or against tenure. This document is forwarded to the CAO. The CAO reviews all documentation including the evaluations and recommendations from the dean and T&P, and makes a recommendation to the President. Upon recommendation of the CAO and the President, the final tenure decision is made by the Board of Trustees Tenure goes into effect with the notification of approval by the Board of Trustees.
- September: Faculty members who wish to be considered for promotion will check to verify that she/he satisfies the criteria by rank set forth in the Faculty Bylaws and Statutes, Statute, IV, Section III. The faculty member sends a written request for consideration for promotion to the division chair no later than the 2nd week of the fall semester.
- October: The candidate prepares a promotion portfolio to document all pertinent information, following the Suggestions for Tenure and Promotion Portfolios (see Appendix D of the Faculty Handbook). The candidate submits two (2) copies of the promotion portfolio to the division chair no later than October 15th.
- November-December: Prior to December 1, the division chair submits to the dean and T&P a written recommendation for or against promotion,. The division chair sends the portfolios to the dean. The dean reviews the portfolio and, by December 15th, send both copies of the portfolios and written recommendation for or against promotion to the CAO. (At this point the CAO sends one copy of the portfolio to T&P).
- January-May: T&P reviews the portfolios and sends a written recommendation for or against promotion to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVPAA). The CAO reviews all documentation including the evaluations and recommendations by the Dean and the T&P, makes a recommendation to the President.
- February: The promotion decision of made by the President. This recommendation does not need approval by the Board of Trustees.
- September: Full-time faculty must submit their faculty development requests to their dean who then forwards the proposals to the Office for Academic Affairs. At the first meeting of Dean's Council in October the dean's review each proposal. For faculty whose proposals have been approved the Office of Academic Affairs will notify them of the approval amount. Faculty who have not been approved are notified by their respective dean.
- June: All approved travel reimbursements must be submitted before the end of the current fiscal year (June 30th)
Faculty Research Grants:
- November: Full-time faculty who are returning the following year, have a minimum of one year of service to JU and who did not have an award the previous year are eligible to apply for a Guidelines for Faculty Research Grants (see link for full guidelines). Proposals are due November 14th with a copy going to the Chief Academic Officer and the Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee.
- January: Awards announced January 16th.