What to Bring for Residence Halls & Apartments
Things You'll Need
The following items are things that every student will need while living on campus. Be sure to note some items are for specific areas.
- Personal Grooming Products
- Beeding (extra-long twin) and room decor
- Clock / Alarm Clock
- 3M Command Strips or Blue Painter's Tape
- Shower Caddy
- Shower Curtain 78" in Length (Oak Hall & Village Apartments Only)
- Shower Shoes/Flip-Flops (For community showers)
Things You Might Want
The following items are things that aren't essential, but some people may prefer to have them to make their stay in the Residence Halls more comfortable.
- Game Consoles (XBOX, PlayStation, Etc.)
- Bicycle & Lock
- Power Strip with Surge Protector (up to 12' in Length)
- Small Bulletin or White Boards (mount with 3M Command strips)
- Dishes & Utensils
- Study Light for Bed or Desk
- Single Cup Coffee Brewers (Such as Keurig)
- Landline Telephone
- Fish & Fishtank (10 Galon tank or less)
Things to Talk to Your Roommate about first
The following items are popular in our residence halls, and sometimes it makes sense to share one microwave, rather than bring two. Anything large (big-screen TVs, Couches, etc) may take up a lot of space in your room. Make sure to talk to your roommate first and see who is bringing what.
- TV (Must have a QAM tuner)
- Microwave (800 watts or less)
- Personal Refrigerator (3.5 cu. ft. maximum capacity)
- Any additional furniture, including couhes or futons
- Room Fresheners/"Scentsy"
Things to Leave Behind
The following items are not permitted in the residence halls. Any student with these items will face possible diciplinary actions. For the safety of you, and everyone around you, don't bring the following itmes on campus with you:
- TV Wall Mount Brackets
- Halogen lamps or bulbs
- Octopus Lamps
- Lava Lamps
- Extension cords
- Full Size Refrigerators
- Pets (other than fish)
- Double-sided tape, push pins, walls, screws
- Candles or Incense
- Air Conditioners or Space Heaters
- Window or Ceiling fans
- Internet Routers
- Decorative/Holiday lights (LED Rope Lights are allowed)
- Griddles, Deep Fryers, or hot plates
- Any kitchen appliance with a heating element. Village apartment residents are allowed to have these items in their kitchens, but North Hall and Oak Hall residents are not permitted to have any of the following:
- Toasters/Toaster Ovens
- Crock Pots/Slow Cookers
- Rice Cookers
- Any Grill-Press type device (George Foreman Grill, Waffle Makers, etc.)
Bedding: All Apartments and Residence Halls have extra-long twin (80" long) beds. Make sure to bring sheets, bedspreads or blankets, and pillows.
Hanging Room Decor: 3M Command strips have shown to be effective at hanging light items in the Residence Halls, and will not leave damage IF PROPERLY REMOVED. We reccomend that students use Command Strips or Blue Painter's Tape to hang light itmes in ther rooms. Nails, Thumb Tacks, and Screws cannot be used. TVs cannot be anchored to the wall.
Each residence hall room provides connection to the Internet via both an Ethernet and Wireless Internet connection. Any questions about the internet, including setting up your computer for JU's Wireless Internet should be directed to the IT Help Desk. They can be reached at (904) 256-7200 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Room Fresheners: We recognize that each person may have different preferences and tolerances for levels of smells in a room. As a result, please not that you should have approval from all roommates and/or suitemates before use. If there is not approval from all residents, they are not permitted. "Scentsy" and other type room fresheners are permitted, but candles, candle warmers, and incense are not.
Village Apartment Kitchens: a full sized refrigerator, microwave, stove, and oven are provided in all apartments. Students are also permitted to bring personal microwaves or mini-refirgerators for use in their individual rooms. Students may also bring toasters, toaster ovens, crock pots, rice cookers, and Grill-Press style devices, so long as they are stored and used only in the kitchen.